Sunday, December 1, 2013

Six weeks without a post... but not without a book or two or ten




 
Here are 4 books I read or started to read, captured by my phone. 
 
First, I read the Rod Stewart biography because of my brother. He does a Rod Stewart tribute act that impresses everyone who sees it. I think he's more fun than the real Rod would be. The book was quite good, with lots of facts and stories about his musical life and his love life. It is an old one, so only goes up to 1990 or so. I think a few things have happened to Rod since then.
 
 
I picked up the Barbara Kingsolver book, Prodigal Summer, in the condo my friends rented in Key West. This is a wonderful book, as so many of Barbara K's are. It was sensitive, sensual, ecological, historical, and full to the brim of interesting, attractive characters and good stories. I left it at the next stop, and hope someone else reads it and loves it.
 
When I dropped off Prodigal Summer at my motel's bookshelf, I was excited to find the Zadie Smith book called NW, but I soon put it back. It did not catch my interest at all, and I did not like any of the characters or their situations. I abandoned it after only a few chapters, which is unusual.

Six Months in Sudan by James Masakalyk was our Book Club choice for November. I wasn't sure I wanted to read any more war stories, but it was very good. A young Canadian emergency doctor goes to work in an isolated village in Sudan with MSF. It was horrifyingly real and gritty, but also touching, informative, and strangely optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment